Veteran’s Benefits

Veteran’s benefits may be used at Navarro College. The College’s Office of Veterans’ Affairs should be consulted to obtain accurate, complete, and current information concerning VA educational benefits. In view of the fact that veteran’s benefits are legislatively controlled, it is necessary to alter requirements for continued receipt of veteran’s benefits as the laws and guidelines change. Consequently, the veteran’s benefit recipient is advised that the standard of progress expressed previously in this catalog may not be the only standard of progress requirement he or she must meet. The recipient must consult with the Office of Veterans’ Affairs on campus about specific up-to-date requirements. Veterans with military service, selected reservists and dependents of veterans may be eligible for federal payments and benefits while attending Navarro College. The Veterans Affairs School Certifying Official is assigned to help assure the proper handling of veterans’ educational benefits applications.

*EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES: *The Veterans’ Administration requires each student drawing educational benefits be enrolled for courses that lead to his/her approved educational objective (degree or certificate). VA students may not draw benefits for courses for which they have already received credit, for courses that are in excess of degree requirements or for courses that do not apply to a planned degree. A college counselor is available to help prospective students determine that the courses they wish to take qualify for VA educational benefits.

First-time Applicants:

  1. Chapter 30 – MGIB/AD (Served Active Duty):
  2. Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Disabled Veterans)
    • Copy of DD Form 214, Certificate of Eligibility Letter from the VA.
    • Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 and ask to speak with Vocational Rehabilitation to apply for the benefit
    • Official Military Transcripts: Transcript request can be made at Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and Air Force
    • Submit form 28-1905 from your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
  3. Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 (Served Active Duty)
    • Copy of DD Form 214, Certificate of Eligibility Letter from the VA.
    • VA Form 22-1990 Application for Education Benefits
    • Official Military Transcripts: Transcript request can be made at Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and Air Force
    • Payments are based upon percentage of time served after 9/11/2001, (VA determines percentage, not the VA Certifying Official).
    • VA will send the percentage rate once the eligibility of the student is determined.
    • Student must request certification after registering for classes at MyNC.
    • Student DOES NOT verify his/her enrollment on the last day of each month.
  4. Chapter 33 – Post 9/11(Transfer benefits to Dependents)
  5. Chapter 1606 – MGIB/SR (Selective Reservist and Guardsmen)
  6. Chapter 35 – DEA (Spouse/Children/Survivors)
  7. Hazelwood Act – Contact the Navarro College Office of Financial Aid
    • Veteran must have entered active duty service in Texas or have Texas listed as his/her home of record on DD form 214.
    • Veteran must have served at least 181 days of active duty not including training time.
    • Veterans can transfer his/her unused hours to a child under the Hazlewood Legacy Act.
    • All students wishing to use the Hazlewood exemption must submit a completed application with all required supporting documentation prior to the last date of the semester in which they wish to begin the exemption. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. There are four semesters within an academic year in which a student can apply for the exemption: Fall, Spring, First Summer, and Second Summer. You will be required to renew your exemption once per academic year.

*TRANSFER STUDENTS:  Transfer students must complete form VA form 22-1995 to transfer benefits from your previous college.

*IMPORTANT NOTICE*: All Veterans should thoroughly review admissions standards and testing requirements before submitting an application.  

Veterans should consult the school Veterans’ Affairs Certifying Official for information and assistance in applying or benefits. *Note: *Allow four to eight weeks for VA application or any paperwork to be processed by the Veterans’ Administration Regional Office in Muskogee, Oklahoma.

*ADVANCE PAY: All VA students must pay their tuition and fees up front. *Advance pay is available for eligible students upon request. Students must request advance pay 30 days prior to the beginning of class. This will allow time for the funds to be distributed to the student. Navarro College does not determine eligibility of students. *All financial responsibility rests upon the student and not Navarro College.*

*CAUTION: *VA students may be required to pay their tuition and fees. It is the responsibility of the student receiving benefits to notify the Veterans’ Affairs Certifying Official immediately if there are any changes in his/her enrollment.

If a student changes his/her curriculum or transfers to another college, the veteran should notify the VA certifying official immediately.

*IMPORTANT NOTICE: *In order to remain eligible for benefits, students utilizing veterans benefits must meet school standards of conduct, academic (satisfactory) progress, and class attendance. Students should, therefore, report to the Office of Admissions & Records to withdraw if they do not plan to pursue their courses or to attend regularly. If a student drops out of college without permission or is placed on scholastic probation, he or she may become ineligible for further veterans benefits. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Veterans’ Affairs Certifying Official when he/she registers for courses and if there are any changes in enrollment status since the time the student’s enrollment was certified to the VA. At present, VA students with educational benefits receive a monthly check varying in amount depending upon the education benefit program and class load. Please contact the Veterans’ Affairs Certifying Official for additional information and/or visit the Department of Veteran’s Affairs Web site at